Monday, March 1, 2010

Guatemalan quandry...

Back from the ten day Guatemala trip.  Not really sure where to start...but I guess I might start with one of my selfish goals for the trip, and that was to get totally ruined by rubbing elbows with the Third World.  I think it was goal attained, I do feel pretty ruined.  We just have no idea how prosperous and spoiled we are in the West and the rest of the world is full of some pretty amazing people.  For three of the days we stayed in the village of San Antonio, about three hours from Guatemala City and a humble farming and ranching community in the foothills. 


Our host family, Emilio and Maria Carranza, were the sweetest people in the world.  We were helping them gather clay so they can build an enclosed kitchen so there is not so much smoke damage to their five children, because Maria cooks over an open flame all day (picture endless camping with no stove).  In order to build walls we needed to make bricks.  In order to make bricks we had to gather clay...from the ground, with a pick and shovel.  We picked and shoveled for three straight days and gathered enough clay for Emilio to make 1,200 bricks.  The girls on the trip shoveled clay in their skirts and completely re-defined beauty.  We slept in our sleeping bags on the dirt floor of their mud home.  The rooster squawked all night, the dogs barked, there was no shower, it was really hot and humid.  They told us not to look at the bottom of the pit in the outhouse, so of course, the first thing I did was looked into the dark abyss of the dirt outhouse only to find an scene from an Indiana Jones movie. The entire waste pit was moving...solid layers of bugs who were happier than pigs in poop.  Makes for a pretty relaxing morning routine of course.  The biggest bonus for the whole day was whether or not we got done in time to jump in the river and wash our socks on the rocks.

The kids were amazing.  They were the classic little bands of barefoot, dirty-faced little kids you might see on a humanitarian aid infomercial.  The amazing thing about them is that they followed us out to "the pit" each day and took every chance they could to help us dig.  I can't tell you how many times I had a five year old bare-footed Guatemalan kid take my pick out of my hand because he couldn't wait to take his swings.  Then they played in the pit like it was a half-pipe at the skatepark, only they werent on skateboards, they were just jumping into it with their bare feet.  It was the biggest event of the month in their lives.  No TV, no video games, no cell phones.  Just a happy band of Third World kids who had no idea what they didn't have.

There was a part of me that was torn.  I want to keep this world of "prosperity" away from them.  I don't want them to be like me.  I don't want them to have a  mortgage, stress about car payments, wonder if they were keeping up with the Jonses and be totally self-conscious about their physical appearance.  I just don't want this for them.  I want them to stay in their humble little village and be content.  But the tide of Western civilization looms over them like a dark cloud.  Cell phone towers continue to expand and the internet is probably next. Sure, all this prosperity can help them immensly...medical procedures, basic health care, better hygeine and agricultural techniques, also better sources of clean, unlimited water.  But all that seems to come at a very costly price.  Is there a way to enjoy the benefits of prosperity and technology without the dark side of the proverbial coin that always seems to go with it?

8 comments:

  1. I believe there is a way. Don't know exactly how to get to that "way" just yet, but I am making little changes everyday and hoping for the balance. Praying for wisdom at the same time so I don't traumatize my children in the process. I am excited to hear more of your thoughts on all of this and want you to know that you and Misty have made Mo and I feel like we are not alone in this crazy ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my thought is how can i become more like them....

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly, mine too. simple living is where we are headed. voluntary poverty... can i do that to my children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question...I think it can be done if you walk it through carefully and intentionally for sure. What a gift to give your kids, to actually think that their parents and each other are their household, not to be confused with the structure they live in. It's all about context too, and it's different in them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey greg! it's Maria.
    So cool you went. did misty go too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have wrestled with this idea for a few years now...my new thinking is that to just give UP stuff is not as good as giving MORE of ourselves in the form of community to the poor. it's still self-centered and typical western isolationism to just give up stuff to maybe feel better about how we compare with the poor in the world, but what are we giving TO instead? do I have relationships, real ones, with the poor? do I know an orphan, personally? and what am i doing to help them (with essential needs), but also with friendship and the love of Christ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. reality is a far better teacher than the hypothetical. keep making bricks buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said Moses...and Maria, I totally agree with your comment and think it quite wise. The worst thing that could happen to a message of voluntary redistribution of wealth is a.It becomes a comparative/religious trip and b. it is reduced to strictly the material and has no relational component. If the trinity teaches us one thing it is the force of relational connectivity and if we are to incarnate this then wouldn't it make sense to reflect this and have connection with people outside our grid...well said.

    ReplyDelete